Are you employed by a UK company who has assignments in Norway? From 1 January 2021, British citizen are no longer covered by the simplified regulations for EU/EEA citizens.
As a result of UK’s strict policy focusing on not allowing seconded employees into the UK without a full application for work permit, the Norwegian government will implement the same requirements for seconded employees who are citizens of the UK and employed by a company resident outside of Norway.
Seconded employees, employed by a non-Norwegian company, will need a residence permit to take on assignments in Norway.
You might hold a registration certificate as EU/EEA citizen, but for seconded employees, this will not be valid after 31 December 2020.
You must apply for residence permit, and as a main rule, you are not allowed to work until the permit is granted.
Relevant permits for seconded employees:
- Residence permit as an international company employee that is to be commissioned by the Norwegian part of the company. You must have a skilled competence.
- Employed by a company abroad that is to have an assignment in Norway. Employed by a non- Norwegian company holding an assignment in Norway. You must have skilled competence.
Special requirements related to education/qualifications and employment relationship:
- You must have at least 3 years at upper secondary school level, or a degree from a university.
- The qualifications as a skilled worker must be relevant for the work position. The pay and working conditions must not be less beneficial than normal in Norway. If the work is in an industry in which a collective agreement applies, your salary will be compared and cannot be less than normal for the occupation.
- Bachelor’s degree – Annual salary NOK 397 100
- Master’s degree – Annual salary NOK 428 200
Documents needed to apply:
- Personal information, passport, passport photo
- A contract between the Norwegian client and the foreign enterprise
- Employment contract
- Documentation of education and work experience
- Documentation that you have a place to live in Norway
- Offer of assignment form
The application fee is 6 300 NOK.
The processing time is minimum 8 weeks.
Contact us if you need assistance with this:
Also see: Brexit overview